Friday, September 2, 2011

The things that can come from paper.

I've made two new challenges to myself this week.  1 is to pray on my knees daily, and the other is to see how many things I can make out of paper.  I made these goals because I wanted to pray more, and also because I've been surprised at how much I can do with paper and it would be fun to see what else I can do. 


It seems like every week I'm getting a bit busier as I'm learning a routine and finding things to do and people to hang out with.  I'm still a bit confused  as to what I should be doing here every day, and what God wants from me.  But I'm learning through various things that its not so much what I do as how I do them and for what reason.  I was just listening to an older sermon by Joyce Myers and she reminded me that sometimes we worry a lot about our specific calling and forget that God has told us His will in His scripture!  We forget that His will is to love God with our whole heart, soul, mind and strength and to be thankful!  These simple things we forget.


   This week has been spent learning how to contain my budget, cook everything including flan on a stovetop, what not to eat in Grenada (more on that later), watching all of Anne of Green Gables and planning surprise parties. Emily and I have decided we are going to have monthly themed dinners, which I cannot reveal yet, because they will be secret.  We also learned on Monday that it was one of the SO's birthdays on Thursday, and she seemed a little sad that she didn't know too many people yet and that her husband would be in class all day, so we decided to make her a cake.  Mind you, we don't know too much about this girl other than her name and that she was a music teacher.  So, a music note cake it is! 


                                                                        Here is Emily frosting the cake.
 We shaped the cake with a trick my husband taught me:  bake it, then freeze it, and  while it's frozen, cut it out!  It held together very well, but we couldn't manage frosting the edges.  But, it gave it a nice 3D effect (we think). 
 And here it is my one new paper product of the week!  A 3D birthday card.  O, and we also used toilet paper as birthday cake plates.  That's not really a cute craft idea, more a poor medical student wife's idea... but it is a new thing made out of paper!

So we surprised her at the pool with the cake! And she had a birthday party with 20 girls at it.  Not bad...


Emily and I have been praying for boldness and to be a witness in our love.  We don't know exactly what to say sometimes to people when we want to tell them about Jesus' love for them. We don't know exactly how to pray.  But we are trusting that Jesus is writing our story and that His anointing and spirit in us will guide us to be a blessing.  We know His will is to love Him, to joyfully serve Him and find our identity in Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment